Assistant Project Manager
Overview of Responsibilities
Who are we looking for?
RACE (Remote Applications in Challenging Environments) specialises in remote handling and automated systems and is looking for talented Project Management professionals to manage a variety of projects. These projects are focused on developing remote handling systems for the next generations of power stations and to support the UK’s effort to apply novel technologies to all challenging and harsh environments for the protection of people and advancement of industry.
We need an Assistant Project Manager who is dedicated to our work, admitting mistakes and learning from them- remaining honest and always acting in the best interests of individuals and the organisation.
As an Assistant Project Manager, you will provide co-ordination and support to one or more projects, get involved in the project planning, costing and governance process, and ensure that procedures and key documents are in place and followed.
As the Assistant Project Manager, you will be passionate, determined and innovative. You will be experienced within nurturing science and technological excellence, and will be flexible and able to keep a positive approach to challenges faced; also, open to new ways of working and promoting diversity.
The Assistant Project Manager will be enthusiastic about the pursuit of our mission, seeking creative ways to change, solve problems and push scientific and technical boundaries. This role will allow you to take ownership to achieve quality outcomes and work autonomously, with initiative and minimum supervision
As the Assistant Project Manager, you will be business-minded: commercially astute, seeking out new business opportunities and managing potential risks- as well as being cost conscious, acting with integrity, delivering on expectations and challenging what doesn’t add value.
What will you be responsible for?
- Deputising on management of projects and managing a typical project expenditure of up to £0.5M
- Managing small projects or work packages with a degree of independence and accountability
- Ensuring that projects are proactively tracked and managed in terms of progress and in line with IDP
- Engaging effectively with the broader organisation on projects and influence others to get the information and progress required
- Supporting the Project Manager on collaboration with the Project Sponsor to develop a Project Management Plan
- Documenting projects and the project lifecycle in compliance with the UKAEA’s Quality Assurance requirements
- Analysing the Project Data and reporting the progress against milestones
- Ensuring the tracking and timely close out of project actions and supporting the broader project team
Additional Information required for the Assistant Project Manager role
- Successful candidate must be flexible and able to work across several projects and in several different teams
- Occasional travel within the UK may be requested as part of this role
Essential skills, experience and competence required
- A degree in an engineering or nuclear field
- A formal qualification in Project Management or working towards completion of formal Project Management qualification
- Demonstrable ‘hands-on’ experience of delivering project work and maintenance activities within an engineering environment, with supporting certification in relevant disciplines such as crane operation, lifting, rigging, scaffolding or similar
- Experience of working with remote handling operations and experience of, or formal qualification in, Arc and MIG welding
- IT literate, fluent in Microsoft Office, including Excel and Powerpoint
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including the ability to influence stakeholders at all levels and good planning and organisational skills
- Experience of working within quality management or systems
Desirable skills, experience and competence
- Experience of managing the interfaces and interdependencies for engineering projects
- Masters level Project Management qualifications
- Experience of purchasing systems and contract management
What we offer
Our comprehensive benefits package includes a vibrant culture committed to being fully inclusive, an Employee Assistance Programme and trained Mental Health First Aiders, Flexible working options including family friendly policies, Emergency paid leave, Generous annual leave allowance (30.5 days) increased with length of service, wide range of career development opportunities, outstanding defined benefit pension scheme; Corporate bonus scheme and a Relocation allowance (if eligible).
We welcome applications from under-represented groups, particularly from individuals from black and other ethnic minority backgrounds, including nationality and citizenship, people with disabilities and women. The Executive team with support from our ‘Equality, Diversity and Inclusion’ (EDI) Partner and Inclusion Ambassadors, is actively promoting EDI and taking steps to increase the diversity of our people through reinforcing best practice in recruitment and selection, and revaluating approaches where it is clear we can remove barriers to success.
Please be advised that this vacancy is due to close on 31/01/2023 . We may close earlier than this date if large or sufficient numbers of applications are received.
Please note all employees working at the UK Atomic Energy Authority will be required to complete an online Disclosure Certificate application as part of their clearance – The Disclosure & Barring Service (DBS) checks will show the details of all current criminal convictions or will confirm that there are no such convictions.
Note for applicants who are applying for employment with UKAEA either from outside the United Kingdom or who have spent time outside the United Kingdom in the last five years. Please visit https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/criminal-records-checks-for-overseas-applicants . If the country you are resident in or have resided in is not listed on this website or that the UK Government is not aware of how to obtain a criminal records check from that state then we are unable to process your application.