Sustainability Business Partner
Overview of Responsibilities
Who are we looking for?
As part of the Safety, Health, Environment and Quality Department the Sustainability Business Partner provides support to their business area in the development and implementation of the UKAEA environmental sustainability strategy.
You will act as the technical expert in environmental sustainability, providing day-to-day support by giving practical advice on environmental issues. You will ensure that sustainability aspects are adequately considered as part of relevant processes and projects. This role will allow you to analyse and interpret energy, carbon footprint and other sustainability data and build strong relationships with internal stakeholders and establish credibility at all levels, obtaining buy in on sustainability initiatives as needed.
For this role, you will support the building energy efficiency initiatives for our existing estate, ensuring that targets and KPIs are defined and met. As a Sustainability Business Partner you will also work with our procurement team to embed sustainability in our supply chain and contract management process. The role will ensure alignment and collaboration between different business functions in relation to sustainability.
If you are keen to be involved in net zero carbon initiatives and projects and develop a deep understanding of organisational strategy and direction and contribute to the long-term development of the UKAEA Sustainability Strategy, then we would like to hear from you.
What will you be responsible for?
- Work closely with Department Managers to support the development and achievement of sustainability objectives in line with the UKAEA Sustainability Strategy
- Enable decision making by helping Department Managers to understand the environmental and cost implications of different options being considered and contribute to feasibility studies related to sustainability initiatives
- Support budget planning and prioritisation for sustainability related project and assess the skills and resources needed and flag risks and opportunities to the Department Managers
- Identify trends and issues related to sustainability aspects and propose initiatives to address them
- Support the E&S Manager with the production of organisational sustainability reports and dashboards
- Support with the management of projects linked to the achievement of sustainability objectives
- Capture and communicate suggestions from staff for sustainability improvement and raise awareness of environmental issues and promote best practice, including overseeing, developing and delivering appropriate presentation materials and training courses
Essential skills, experience and competence required
- Proven experience working with environmental sustainability programmes within a given field (in this case, buildings and facilities management and procurement processes)
- Experience influencing at different levels both verbally and through the production of written reports
- Degree of equivalent in a relevant field
- Strong understanding of relevant sustainability standards and net zero requirements, carbon emission accounting and energy data management
Desirable skills, experience and competence
- Experience working with public procurement contracts and /or in refurbishment and new construction projects
- Experience providing line management support for future graduate / industrial placements.
- Budget management specific to projects including preparation of business cases.
What we offer
Our comprehensive benefits package includes a vibrant culture committed to being fully inclusive, an Employee Assistance Programme and trained Mental Health First Aiders, Flexible working options including family friendly policies, Emergency paid leave, Generous annual leave allowance (30.5 days) increased with length of service, wide range of career development opportunities, outstanding defined benefit pension scheme; Corporate bonus scheme and a Relocation allowance (if eligible).
We welcome applications from under-represented groups, particularly from individuals from black and other ethnic minority backgrounds, including nationality and citizenship, people with disabilities and women. The Executive team with support from our ‘Equality, Diversity and Inclusion’ (EDI) Partner and Inclusion Ambassadors, is actively promoting EDI and taking steps to increase the diversity of our people through reinforcing best practice in recruitment and selection, and revaluating approaches where it is clear we can remove barriers to success.
Please be advised that this vacancy is due to close on 30/08/2022 . We may close earlier than this date if large or sufficient numbers of applications are received.
Please note all employees working at the UK Atomic Energy Authority will be required to complete an online Disclosure Certificate application as part of their clearance – The Disclosure & Barring Service (DBS) checks will show the details of all current criminal convictions or will confirm that there are no such convictions.
Note for applicants who are applying for employment with UKAEA either from outside the United Kingdom or who have spent time outside the United Kingdom in the last five years. Please visit https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/criminal-records-checks-for-overseas-applicants . If the country you are resident in or have resided in is not listed on this website or that the UK Government is not aware of how to obtain a criminal records check from that state then we are unable to process your application.