Senior Robotics Research Engineer
Overview of Responsibilities
Who are we looking for?
Robotics and digital tools will make commercially viable fusion energy possible. RAICo is a collaborative Robotics and AI programme, working to solve some of the world’s most complex robotics challenges. A partnership between the UK Atomic Energy Authority, Sellafield Ltd, The Nuclear Decommissioning Authority and The University of Manchester; RAICo is developing essential technologies to build the fusion robotics of tomorrow and applies its discoveries to today’s challenges in nuclear decommissioning.
Based in Cumbria, you will play a key role in developing the research engineering capability of our organization. This role will allow you to engage in technology development and deployment, working collaboratively as part of a team. You will also have the opportunity to engage with stakeholders and this role will involve occasional travel to Culham and other local and international locations.
If you are passionate about research, engineering, and deploying innovative technologies, this is the perfect opportunity for you
What will you be responsible for?
- Act as an expert consultant in technical or domain specialisms, providing advice, designing solutions, and developing skills in others.
- Lead and initiate external contracts or collaborations, forming professional networks and fostering partnerships.
- Build relationships with internal and external partners to analyze requirements, deliver projects, and establish future collaborations.
- Manage projects and activities, ensuring they are completed with the desired quality, within specified timeframes and budgets, while keeping partners informed.
- Provide research advice to colleagues, including strategic aspects such as project scoping, technology choices, and sustainability planning.
- Deliver projects aimed at developing, improving, extending research over various timescales, ranging from weeks to years.
- Contribute to the development of the team by shaping processes, mentoring colleagues, and setting high standards in quality, culture, and practices.
In addition, this role involves project management, including leading mid-sized research projects or work packages within larger projects. You will also be involved in technology development, deployment, and demonstration activities, working collaboratively with the team.
Essential skills, experience and competence required
- Degree in a scientific, engineering or technical subject, or equivalent knowledge and experience
- Postgraduate research degree or equivalent experience
- Ability to communicate effectively, collaborate and influence people with various roles and backgrounds
- Experience of supervising and mentoring others in a research project context and expertise in research area and ability to take on a technical leadership role and experience of leading a project including managing the work of others
- Established publication record
- Understanding of engineering design process principles and application
- Experience of developing high-quality test rigs or software used in experiments and broad understanding of Robotics
- Appetite and ability to research and learn about new technologies and domains and to judge how to apply and share this knowledge
- Experience of applying, adapting and promoting good development practices throughout the entire research lifecycle
- Track record of initiating collaborations and/or developing successful proposals or bids
- Experience of on-site deployments or demonstrations of research
- Experience of leading multi-organisational collaborative research activities
- Knowledge of public sector procurement processes
- Experience of conducting research in an operational environment with change control, monitoring and support arrangements
- Experience of developing risk assessments and mitigation plans in relation to physical trials
What we offer
Our comprehensive benefits package includes a vibrant culture committed to being fully inclusive, an Employee Assistance Programme and trained Mental Health First Aiders, Flexible working options including family friendly policies, Emergency paid leave, Generous annual leave allowance (30.5 days) increased with length of service, wide range of career development opportunities, outstanding defined benefit pension scheme; Corporate bonus scheme (up to 7% for Levels 1 - 7, as well as 3rd and 4th year apprentices) and a Relocation allowance (if eligible).
We welcome applications from under-represented groups, particularly from individuals from black and other ethnic minority backgrounds, including nationality and citizenship, people with disabilities and women. The Executive team with support from our ‘Equality, Diversity and Inclusion’ (EDI) Partner and Inclusion Ambassadors, is actively promoting EDI and taking steps to increase the diversity of our people through reinforcing best practice in recruitment and selection, and revaluating approaches where it is clear we can remove barriers to success.
Please note all employees working at the UK Atomic Energy Authority will be required to complete an online Disclosure Certificate application as part of their clearance – The Disclosure & Barring Service (DBS) checks will show the details of all current criminal convictions or will confirm that there are no such convictions.
Note for applicants who are applying for employment with UKAEA either from outside the United Kingdom or who have spent time outside the United Kingdom in the last five years. Please visit https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/criminal-records-checks-for-overseas-applicants . If the country you are resident in or have resided in is not listed on this website or that the UK Government is not aware of how to obtain a criminal records check from that state then we are unable to process your application.