Robotics Research Engineer – Automated Maintenance
Overview of Responsibilities
Who are we looking for?
As a Robotics Research Engineer you will provide expertise to research and technology projects. You’ll contribute to developing the research engineering capability of the organisation, supporting RACE projects and the execution of advanced research projects.
What will you be responsible for?
- Conducting R&D on robotic systems to enable nuclear fusion or nuclear decommissioning activities
- Producing reports as required for project deliverables
- Presenting and publishing work
- Designing and developing hardware and software test platforms
- Supporting other engineers, scientists, and projects with research expertise
- Supporting projects to develop or improve/extend research over timescales of weeks to years
- Diagnosing issues and design solutions considering full technical and human context
- Building relationships with internal and external partners to analyse and establish requirements, deliver projects, and define future collaborations
- Managing projects and other activities to ensure the aims are achieved with appropriate quality standards, timescales and costs and partners are kept informed
- Providing research advice and help to colleagues, including strategic aspects such as project scoping, technology choices, make vs buy decisions, sustainability planning
- Contributing to improving UKAEA’s research culture and practices
- Representing RACE externally with customers, collaborators, and at external events
- International travel to customer’s and collaborator’s sites may be required
Essential skills, experience and competence required
- Established publishing record
- Understanding of Engineering design process principles and application
- Broad understanding of Robotics
- Expert knowledge of research area
- Experience of developing high-quality software used in relevant applications.
- Experience of applying, adapting, and promoting good development practices throughout
- the entire research lifecycle
- Ability to communicate effectively, collaborate and influence people with various roles and backgrounds
- Degree in a scientific, engineering, or technical subject or equivalent knowledge and experience
- Post graduate degree or experience in Research Engineering
Desirable skills, experience and competence
- Strong programming ability with C++, Python, MATLAB or similar
- Understanding of software engineering processes including lifecycle, version control, documentation
- Experience working with mobile robotics
- Working experience of designing and implementing control systems
- Understanding of sensor fusion techniques
- Experience of Computer Vision
- Experience working with electromechanical or mechatronic systems
- Experience of specifying sensors, actuators, and other control systems components
- Understanding of control theory and mathematical techniques related to robotics
What we offer
Our comprehensive benefits package includes a vibrant culture committed to being fully inclusive, an Employee Assistance Programme and trained Mental Health First Aiders, Flexible working options including family friendly policies, Emergency paid leave, Generous annual leave allowance (30.5 days) increased with length of service, wide range of career development opportunities, outstanding defined benefit pension scheme; Corporate bonus scheme and a Relocation allowance (if eligible).
We welcome applications from under-represented groups, particularly from individuals from black and other ethnic minority backgrounds, including nationality and citizenship, people with disabilities and women. The Executive team with support from our ‘Equality, Diversity and Inclusion’ (EDI) Partner and Inclusion Ambassadors, is actively promoting EDI and taking steps to increase the diversity of our people through reinforcing best practice in recruitment and selection, and revaluating approaches where it is clear we can remove barriers to success.
Please be advised that this vacancy is due to close on 06/10/2022 . We may close earlier than this date if large or sufficient numbers of applications are received.
Please note all employees working at the UK Atomic Energy Authority will be required to complete an online Disclosure Certificate application as part of their clearance – The Disclosure & Barring Service (DBS) checks will show the details of all current criminal convictions or will confirm that there are no such convictions.
Note for applicants who are applying for employment with UKAEA either from outside the United Kingdom or who have spent time outside the United Kingdom in the last five years. Please visit https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/criminal-records-checks-for-overseas-applicants . If the country you are resident in or have resided in is not listed on this website or that the UK Government is not aware of how to obtain a criminal records check from that state then we are unable to process your application.