RACE Robotic Research Engineer – (Pipe, Cutting and Welding)
Overview of Responsibilities
Who are we looking for?
As a Robotic Research Engineer you will provide Research Engineering expertise in pipe, cutting and welding robotics to research and technology projects. You will contribute to developing the research engineering capability of the organisation and support RACE projects and the execution of advanced research projects.
You will research on autonomous system for robotic welding, cutting and piping for challenging environment. If you are interested in impact and contribution for safe autonomous system and collaboration with universities and researchers as well as you have good interpersonal and communication skills with a proven ability to function as part of a team, then we would like to hear from you.
What will you be responsible for?
- Provide technical expertise in one or more of the following technological domains: Robotics, Robot Control and Artificial Intelligence, Welding, Pipe joining).
- Conduct research independently and in collaboration with colleagues
- Design and develop test platforms, explore innovative solutions to technical challenges and problems.
- Produce project reports, publishing and presenting research achievements at conferences and similar events.
- Manage tasks (or work packages) independently to ensure the aims are achieved with appropriate quality standards, timescales and costs, and partners are kept informed.
- Participate activities for external collaborations, contribute to establishing relationship with project partners and maintaining a professional network
Essential Skills & Experience:
- PhD or Master degree in a scientific, engineering or technical subjects or equivalent knowledge and experience
- Established publication record
- Knowledge of one or more following subjects: material science, metallurgy, structural integrity, and finite element analysis
- Expertise in pipe welding, cutting and Non-Destructive Evaluation technologies related control system integration and implementation
- Experience of developing high-quality test rig or software used in robotics deployed applications
- Experience of applying, adapting, and promoting good development practices throughout the entire research lifecycle
- Broad understanding of Robotics
- Experiencing of managing and delivering (work packages of) projects
- Ability to communicate effectively, collaborate and influence people with various roles and backgrounds
- Appetite and ability to research and learn about new technologies and domains and to judge how to apply and share this knowledge
- Good interpersonal and communication skills, and a proven ability to function as part of a team
Desirable Skills & Experience
- Programming ability with C++, Python, MATLAB or similar
- Experience working with mobile robotics
- Experience of working with electromechanical or mechatronic systems
- Experience of participating multi-organisational collaborative research activities
What we offer
Our comprehensive benefits package includes a vibrant culture committed to being fully inclusive, an Employee Assistance Programme and trained Mental Health First Aiders, Flexible working options including family friendly policies, Emergency paid leave, Generous annual leave allowance (30.5 days) increased with length of service, wide range of career development opportunities, outstanding defined benefit pension scheme; Corporate bonus scheme and a Relocation allowance (if eligible).
We welcome applications from under-represented groups, particularly from individuals from black and other ethnic minority backgrounds, including nationality and citizenship, people with disabilities and women. The Executive team with support from our ‘Equality, Diversity and Inclusion’ (EDI) Partner and Inclusion Ambassadors, is actively promoting EDI and taking steps to increase the diversity of our people through reinforcing best practice in recruitment and selection, and revaluating approaches where it is clear we can remove barriers to success.
Please be advised that this vacancy is due to close on 13//02/2023. We may close earlier than this date if large or sufficient numbers of applications are received.
Please note all employees working at the UK Atomic Energy Authority will be required to complete an online Disclosure Certificate application as part of their clearance – The Disclosure & Barring Service (DBS) checks will show the details of all current criminal convictions or will confirm that there are no such convictions.
Note for applicants who are applying for employment with UKAEA either from outside the United Kingdom or who have spent time outside the United Kingdom in the last five years. Please visit https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/criminal-records-checks-for-overseas-applicants . If the country you are resident in or have resided in is not listed on this website or that the UK Government is not aware of how to obtain a criminal records check from that state then we are unable to process your application.