Lead Electrical Distribution Engineer
Overview of Responsibilities
Who are we looking for?
This role offers an exciting opportunity to become a major lead in the Joint European Torus (JET) decommissioning project, the delivery of which will help to shape the future of Culham Science Centre as a leading UK fusion research establishment.
You’ll need to bring strong leadership, communication and influencing skills, together with expert technical knowledge in HV and LV distribution networks and extensive experience at planning and delivering complex engineering projects from concept through to completion.
What will you be responsible for?
You will lead the safe delivery and expedient decommissioning of the JET Facility and the supporting systems, isolations of all electrical and other services.
- Formulating and overseeing UKAEA electrical policy and procedures for the Decommissioning project. Interpret legal requirements, industry best practice and national/international standards and translate to practical procedures to ensure decommissioning project is delivered safely, expediently, to a high standard, and in full compliance.
- Advising and influencing project team and external suppliers in electrical safety, policy, and procedures.
- Leading on electrical safety across decommissioning project.
- Ensuring full compliance with UKAEA TCS process and drive implementation of same.
- Designing and procure power capability to support decommissioning activities and reconfiguration of repurposed assets. This will include provision of power for RACE, processing factory and overlays.
Essential skills, experience and competence required
- Degree in Electrical Engineering or a closely allied discipline.
- Chartered Engineer.
- Extensive experience in electrical engineering, specifically in the management of electrical resource and the operation and maintenance of electrical distribution networks at LV and HV.
- In-depth understanding of industry practice, legislation, and standards applicable to electrical systems.
- Strong leadership, communication and influencing skills, with the ability to engage with multiple stakeholders at different levels throughout the organisation, and with external suppliers.
- Hold formal qualification in safety, e.g., NEBOSH or IOSH.
What we offer
Our comprehensive benefits package includes a vibrant culture committed to being fully inclusive, an Employee Assistance Programme and trained Mental Health First Aiders, Flexible working options including family friendly policies, Emergency paid leave, Generous annual leave allowance (30.5 days) increased with length of service, wide range of career development opportunities, outstanding defined benefit pension scheme; Corporate bonus scheme and a Relocation allowance (if eligible).
We welcome applications from under-represented groups, particularly from individuals from black and other ethnic minority backgrounds, including nationality and citizenship, people with disabilities and women. The Executive team with support from our ‘Equality, Diversity and Inclusion’ (EDI) Partner and Inclusion Ambassadors, is actively promoting EDI and taking steps to increase the diversity of our people through reinforcing best practice in recruitment and selection, and revaluating approaches where it is clear we can remove barriers to success.
Please be advised that this vacancy is due to close on 16/02/2023 . We may close earlier than this date if large or sufficient numbers of applications are received.
Please note all employees working at the UK Atomic Energy Authority are required to complete an online Disclosure Certificate application as part of their clearance – The Disclosure & Barring Service (DBS) checks will show the details of all current criminal convictions or will confirm that there are no such convictions.
Note for applicants who are applying for employment with UKAEA either from outside the United Kingdom or who have spent time outside the United Kingdom in the last five years. Please visit https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/criminal-records-checks-for-overseas-applicants. If the country you are resident in or have resided in is not listed on this website or that the UK Government is not aware of how to obtain a criminal records check from that state then we are unable to process your application.