Overview of Responsibilities
Who are we looking for?
We are looking for a Cost Engineer who will be passionate about the importance of good Cost Engineering practice and will have an excellent level of competence as a user of MS Excel. You will report to the RACE Head of Project Delivery and will work closely with other RACE Project Controls staff and with Project Managers on a variety of RACE projects to support the cost estimation process for new project proposals and for other projects already underway, across the RACE portfolio. The role will work under the supervision of the RACE Senior Cost Engineer.
As a Cost Engineer you will be positioned to have unparalleled visibility of the financial data for a number of projects and will be able to influence project management decisions in order to drive the desired financial outcome. If you are business-minded and delivery-focused in the approach you take to work as well as being keen to be innovative in your advice to other project management and project controls personnel, then we would like to hear from you.
What will you be responsible for?
- Providing a cost-focused project controls service to Project Managers, to produce budgets at the early stages of a project or programme, and produce monthly reports on earned value metrics.
- Alerting Project Managers to financial trends and potential problems arising and to work with the Project Planner and Project Manager to remediate.
- Providing subject matter expertise on cost management issues in a range of forums.
- Ensuring the project budgets include:
- Itemised labour resource estimates and itemised non-labour estimates.
- An adequate risk provision.
- An appropriate degree of management reserve.
- Assisting the RACE Senior Cost Engineer with other general cost engineering duties as tasked.
- Using earned value data from Primavera and Unit 4.
- Calculating resource projections based on data from P6 (if required) and contributing to monthly programme dashboards.
Essential skills, experience and competence required
- Demonstrable experience of project work in engineering or nuclear projects
- Ability to present complex data in a simple manner, and to aid professionals with understanding their data.
- Demonstrable experience in cost accounting, budgeting or forecasting for projects and programmes, gained either as a cost controller/cost engineer or in a project management environment, or a passion for developing these skills.
- Excellent MS Excel skills and strong analytical skills.
- IT literate, fluent in Microsoft Office, including PowerPoint and Word.
Desirable skills, experience and competence
- Experience of purchasing systems and contract management.
- Experience of working within quality management systems.
- Project management qualification or membership of a relevant professional body (e.g. ACostE)
What we offer
Our comprehensive benefits package includes a vibrant culture committed to being fully inclusive, an Employee Assistance Programme and trained Mental Health First Aiders, Flexible working options including family friendly policies, Emergency paid leave, Generous annual leave allowance (30.5 days) increased with length of service, wide range of career development opportunities, outstanding defined benefit pension scheme; Corporate bonus scheme and a Relocation allowance (if eligible).
We welcome applications from under-represented groups, particularly from individuals from black and other ethnic minority backgrounds, including nationality and citizenship, people with disabilities and women. The Executive team with support from our ‘Equality, Diversity and Inclusion’ (EDI) Partner and Inclusion Ambassadors, is actively promoting EDI and taking steps to increase the diversity of our people through reinforcing best practice in recruitment and selection, and revaluating approaches where it is clear we can remove barriers to success.
Please be advised that this vacancy is due to close on 23/07/2022 . We may close earlier than this date if large or sufficient numbers of applications are received.
Please note all employees working at the UK Atomic Energy Authority will be required to complete an online Disclosure Certificate application as part of their clearance – The Disclosure & Barring Service (DBS) checks will show the details of all current criminal convictions or will confirm that there are no such convictions.
Note for applicants who are applying for employment with UKAEA either from outside the United Kingdom or who have spent time outside the United Kingdom in the last five years. Please visit https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/criminal-records-checks-for-overseas-applicants . If the country you are resident in or have resided in is not listed on this website or that the UK Government is not aware of how to obtain a criminal records check from that state then we are unable to process your application.